Monday, May 12, 2014

Motivation: Know Your Worth


Lately, I've noticed a lack of understanding when it comes to the true value of a woman, not only within other women, but within myself. The more I conversations I have where I am encouraging a young woman of how precious she is in the sight of her Heavenly Father, the more I am challenged with embracing that truth in my own life.
Insecurities suck! They are the subtle yet scarring whispers of the devil that make us forget the beauty of our own individuality. One of my biggest insecurities has been the mole that I have on my nose. 
It appeared almost out of nowhere when I was a toddler and has been a large source of my feelings of unworthiness over the years. For as long as I can remember, I've been teased and gawked at by both kids and adults. As I've gotten older, I'm not really conscious of my mole until someone else reminds me that it's there--whether through their snickers, points or stares. 

Growing up, I always felt like the "ugly duckling" out of my girlfriends. I longed for the attention of guys and felt validated when I finally got it. (How ridiculous that was!)
Then and even now, I often find myself having a bit of unspoken anxiety when going to new places or being around new people because I am afraid of being made fun of. Yet it is in these moments of fear that I have encountered God the most. I'll walk with my head down or would avoid making eye contact with people to prevent myself from being embarrassed, and then I'd hear that still, small voice say, "Hold your head high…you are Mine." That reminder that I can be confident in who I am because of who's I am has made all the difference in me knowing my worth!

Many of the choices we make are rooted in where we place our value. When we know our worth, settling for anything less than what we deserve is never an option. But whether the decision is big or small, this is where those pesky fears and insecurities tend to creep in, to convince us to believe the lies of who we are not rather than the truth of who God says we are. Perhaps you want to apply for a particular job but are afraid you're not qualified enough to have it. Maybe you shop like a maniac because you want to be the next Insta-famous fashionista. Or you could be in a relationship you know you need to nix but refuse to let it go because you don't want to be alone.

We all have messages and images thrown at us on a daily basis that are trying to reshape our identity into being something that contradicts who we've been created to be. Don't believe the lies that you're not rich enough, smart enough, pretty enough, or skinny enough.
Ditch society's labels and wrap your confidence around who Jesus says you are!

I remember one day when I felt very unpretty, and was venting to my boyfriend (now husband). I told him I knew he found me attractive, but that I didn't feel attractive. It was one thing for him to always tell me I'm beautiful, but it was another for me to actually see myself as that. I remember him being very straight with me and that I wasn't making any sense. I will never forget his words that followed: "God made you out of His own image…so do you think God is unattractive?" Touche. lol

The only way to know who you are is to know the One who created you! You are unlike anyone else that has ever been or ever will be. If owning your identity and having confidence is something you find yourself constantly battling, ask God to help you to see yourself the way He sees you. Pursue Him, and you'll soon find that when you draw closer to Jesus, you'll actually discover who you are. He says we're created in His image, so when we look in the mirror, we're getting a glimpse of God's beauty.

This is not only a challenge I pose to you, but to myself! Everyday I have to remind myself of who I am in Christ, and shut down those thoughts that cause me to feel unworthy and second best. To help you to conquer your insecurities, here's some ammo to help you along the way:

"A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls." - Proverbs 31:10 (AMP)

"For we are God's own handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Chris Jesus, born anew, that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us, taking paths which He prepared ahead of time, that we should walk in them, living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live." - Ephesians 2:10 (AMP)

"But to as many as did receive and welcome Him (Jesus), He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name…" - John 1:12 (AMP)

"But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine." - Isaiah 43:1 (ESV)


How often do you struggle with insecurities? Share ways you fight them in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment